18 September 2009

First Photography Assignment

One of my classes in Paris is French Civilization through Photography, and here is my first entry. This is the official assignment if you want to understand its reasoning. Hope you like it!

Movement: I would say it is a universally accepted fact that Paris has unlimited opportunities, both for the laid back local or the naïve tourist. To the wide-eyed student from the western United States, we feel as if we are standing on the brink of something new. Something exciting. Something new. Indulging in the occasional pastry, walking along the Seine, or gazing upon a critically acclaimed Monet, the possibilities are endless.

But even as I desire to see and do everything, I feel that Paris is constantly moving. Each car, train, and person is in motion, anticipating the next destination. Personally, I am relentlessly exhausted with all of the movement! I guess it will become natural, and my body will become accustomed, hopefully.

As you can see, my party and I were making our way down the Champs Elysees on an overcast Thursday. We had yet to make it to the top or even stand beneath the Arc du Triomphe, and we only had but a free moment to accomplish this goal. Trudging along with our sights set on the arch, I stopped. Amidst the chaos of commerce, one woman stood out to me. Frozen in time. Arms outstretched for acceptance of money and perhaps for herself. Her meager form is a striking contrast to the height of the surrounding crowds and historic architecture. She seems not to be in the rush that matches the rest of the city. Each person in the scene was marching to his own beat, probably in a hurry to shop or to get home. I assimilated myself with them as I too had a destination and the preoccupation of mind to just get there. But in her simplicity, my breath was taken away.

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

beautiful writing/entry...

i suggest you discover the schnazzy cafe culture on the west bank near luxembourg gardens. maybe here you'll discover some trademark euro 'stillness' and 'lingering'... it's the paris of my at the moment dreams (because there are so many parises to dream of).

kisses from the US!

Millicent said...

Ms. L! I just found you via ME's blog. What a great photo and entry. You're a wonderful writer!!! Will have to add you to my list of favs!!!

xo

m spot said...

Beautiful shot. Beautiful description. Can't wait to see more!